Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Our First Camp (Part 1/3)

The First National Jamboree was held in Cibubur, Jakarta in 1973 and I was joyful to be part of the pioneer event. My both parents dedicated their time as volunteer and involved as medical officer for the affair. I was three years old at that time. Not much that could be born in mind except it was raining that soaked the camp site for weeks. Since then, outdoor activities became routine schedule especially when school was off.

Fourteen years later, in the month of July 1987, we conquered the highest point of Mount Lawu with the altitude of 3265 m above mean water level. The mount is located at the border of province of Central Java and East Java. As I clearly had down pat, we rose from Cemoro Sewu at 9:30pm and made five stops before we reached, as a final point, the summit at 4:00am. It took us almost six hours walking included some rests.

That was the first time in my life (at young age) was able witnessing sun comes out from its imaginative horizon. I stood up at the highest peak and could see plain sun got higher and higher without any obstacle that blocks my view. What an amazing landscape!



For 17 years sun had approached me first while I was not full vigilant. BUT it was not that particular day. I woke “him” up instead. In fact, I proudly followed the evolution seconds by seconds, minutes by minutes till I was pleased with glory. Oo… yes, I did!

When the sun was right above my head, I was standing up over white thick cloud that swaddled me. The famous everlasting flower, Edelweiss, with many different colors: red, white, and yellow spread out in spacious vicinity on the apex of the mount. That was really (really) blessing.

Well thought-out reaching pinnacle of Mount Lawu as biggest achievement have ever made for hiking, I would like to make a fresh start in Houston with different elevation of dream.

You and I could start our journey together from special places and times. We could set it up someday. But I will start my journey from here at Martin Dies Jr. Park this coming weekend. You may miss this event, but that’s OK. I am plotting myself and expecting this will not be our last one, Insha Alloh.

Last night, I was telling my wife and kids, “This journey is not shifting sleep from comfy spring bed to dirty sleeping bag or from normal temperature 70s to cold 50s in the morning or heavy rain that will waterlogged our tent. If you think that way, I am pretty sure that you will think twice before you do it again next time. But it is now time to craft a line story that will bear us along the well-remembered road for a moment when I am not where you are.” Wallohualam. (Prahoro Nurtjahyo, November 10, 2009)

1 comment:

Admin SePiA said...

Salam
Mohon maaf sebelumnya krn menitip pesan penting ini. Mari Selamatkan Indonesia dengan cara menggemakan spirit "RAKYAT BERSATU TAK BISA DIKALAHKAN" dan atau menjadi anggota group MARI GEMAKAN "RAKYAT BERSATU TAK BISA DIKALAHKAN" di http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=166373827613
Mohon Bantu Sebarkan. Salam